Monday, February 25, 2008

Rhythm challenge

Unlike the conventional guitar, which can be played in a bass-strum pattern, the dobro doesn't always lend itself to rhythmic patterns. I've always wanted a little more than the instrument gave me (or probably more accurate, I was able to get from it.)

I've had a drum pedal for several years (an ill-fated experiment involving the accordion) and am glad I held onto it. I've heard recently about suitcase drum kits, and they can be as simple or elaborate as you like.

For a solo musician, a $2 suitcase from Goodwill and a good drum pedal make all the difference. I tried it yesterday in public for the first time, at the Bowling Green stop on the NY 4-5 train. The rig drew considerable attention, which is the first step in getting someone to put money in the hat.

The photo below is identical to the suitcase I purchased, only the one pictured is much cleaner.

No comments: