Monday, August 4, 2008

Matt Nozzolio 1954 - 2008

Matthew Anthony Nozzolio, of Middletown, died unexpectedly Saturday, August 2, 2008, in New Haven. He was 53. He was the husband of Jean A. Wertz.
Matt, who was the official spokesman for the MDC, in Hartford, had a career in newspapers as a reporter and editor. He was also a noted musician, performing bluegrass, blues and folk music.
Matt played the Dobro, or resophonic guitar, performing solo as well as with a variety of bluegrass and folk bands. He also performed his own compositions.
In the 1990s, Matt toured Europe as a member of Amy Gallatin and Stillwaters. He also performed with Allan Harris and the Cross That River Band, of New York City, the New England bands Charter Oak Bluegrass and The Bristol Boys, and was a frequent guest musician with The Remnants and Horizon Blue.
He was a member of the Metropolitan Transit Authority’s Music Under New York program, for subway musicians, and performed in Connecticut for entertainment programs at Derby Hospital and Meriden’s MidState Medical Center.
In 2007, Matt took 3rd place in the 21st annual Blues Challenge, in Greensboro, N.C.
As a journalist, Nozzolio was a bureau chief for the New Haven Register, city editor for The Evening Press, in Binghamton, N.Y., and bureau chief for the Finger Lakes Times, in New York. He also worked in communications for United Technologies.

3 comments:

Maggie Jackson said...

What heartbreaking news! I'm so sorry and my heart is heavy with thoughts for Matt's wife and children and all the talented musicians he shared the stage with. Years and years ago I was introduced to Amy Gallatin at a Stillwaters performance through a mutual friend. I was so taken with the music that I started going to many of their local shows. One time I happened to have a conversation with Matt during a break between sets outside a Borders. I was struck by how personable he was, had such a warm personality and quick sense of humor. After that I would always say hello during a break and was amazed that he not only remembered who I was, but would ask me about my kids, school, work, referrencing past conversations. I thought maybe I was unique or that there was something memorable about me, but then I realized he did that with everyone who took the time to say hello and tell him how much they appreciated his talent. Such a devastating loss.

Jack Holland said...

I agree with everything Maggie Jackson said, he was a special person, a real gracious gentleman. I saw him last at Buttery Brook, he went out of his way to spend some time with Meg and me. He had that ability to make you feel that you were important to him and I believe he meant it. I can't get his face out of my mind.

Anonymous said...

The Record-Journal reported the passing of a 'Dobro Master'. Matt certainly was.
I met Matt at one of his music therapy sessions at Midstate Medical Center. The crowd was sparse, just me. He played every selection I asked for. My private concert was wonderful.
Matt was a warm person always willing to listen and talk. He will be missed by everyone.

Alan Dempsey
South Meriden