Saturday, January 26, 2008

Honeydripper


My wife and I went to Real Art Ways in Hartford last night to see Honeydripper, John Sayles' latest film about a backwoods blues club trying to survive in 1950 Alabama. I'm not a film critic, and while it moved a bit slowly, I enjoyed the opportunity to soak in the atmosphere of the railroad depot, the cottonfields and the Honeydripper club itself.
Mason Daring was the music composer, and Keb' Mo' did a fantastic job of riffing and sliding on a National.
Gary Clark, who was recently named best new musician at the Austin Music Awards, plays the guitar slinging impersonator and does a fine job on Chuck Berry-like guitar.
Other veteran musicians featured in the film are Dr. Mable John, saxman Eddie Shaw, and harpist Arthur Lee Williams.
I recommend that you see the movie -- it's a nice story, and the music is great.

No comments: