Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Keeping the beat


Rhythm is the foundation of music. One of the challenges as a solo musician, at least for me, is establishing the rhythm, while playing the melody. I've been working on developing my thumb patterns on the lower strings, and even use a metal pick to dig into the string.
Another way to get rhythm is with a bass player. I've gotten together with Jon Swift, a great upright bass player and singer. Another solution for soloists is with a Porchboard or Ellis Stompbox. These essentially turn your foot taps into electronic signals.

One device that I've recently heard of is called the Farmer Foot Drum.
Pete Farmer, a teacher in Washington. I believe the price is about $700, but I'll look into. If anyone has experience with this, I'd love to hear about it.


No comments: